Before I upload the painting that has been over 1 year in progress, here's the steps that lead to the largest painting I've done to date (except for the murals I've completed). I hope it is of interest to you.
This was the very first sketch, done around 9pm one evening in October 2015, but the idea had been in my head for many months before, but I wasn't sure if I could complete such a huge piece of art....
I drew each character individually and on draft paper so I had 2 position options when putting together the composition:
With lots of little cut outs it was too patched up to use for drawing through, so I needed to do a "neat rough" on one layer:
After trying canvas and card, I decided to risk paper for the actual painting, which would mean stretching a 40 inch piece of paper, which was a little daunting (it could split on drying) and would mean I would have to re-draw it all out again at full size, like this, the first time: (the window at my home at this time was thankfully large enough, my new home wouldn't be)
It took 4 hours to draw out neat, and then it was time to soak it in the bath and stretch the paper:
Unfortunately the paper buckled a little and the board actually split, so I clipped it all and kept my fingers crossed.
So the board was around 50 inches and I began painting, after 40 hours prep, sketching, and planning. I did a light watercolour wash first to make sure I would get and see, an equal balance of colour:
To this point I had worked a further 38 hours, but with things going on at home I put it away for what turned out to be 7 months. The following images show the progress since August 2016 and the painting's eventual completion.
I abandoned the original painting, despite all of the hours I'd done, it was just too big and I couldn't cover the cost the materials it would take, so I re-sized and re-drew the whole piece, to 24 x 32, re-stretched (and re-clipped!) the paper and over 2 weeks I got it done - I noted each hour/half hour/ and each 15 minute time increment and it worked out exactly 50 hours. So 110 hours with the previous work.
The upper 7 or 8 inches were a little painful, as I had to stand all day to reach, and do all the little details - progress was definitely an incentive :)
And the last few pictures here ~
Please return as I hope to upload the painting very soon and I hope you liked seeing the progress.